Types Of Fences
A fence is a structure that usually encloses an outdoor area and is typically constructed from posts that are connected by wire, boards, rails or netting. Fences are used to act as a barrier or exclude people or animals and define boundaries or just for decoration.
In this article, we will discuss the various types of fences and how to choose the best one for your yard. Moreover, you will learn how long the fences last and how much time they take to build. Let’s begin by knowing various types of fences you can build in your yard.
1. Vinyl Fence Or PVC Fence
Vinyl Fence is a plastic-based alternative for fencing instead of wood or chain-link type fences. Vinyl is a valuable material for many construction needs.
This plastic-based material made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is typically low-maintenance and won’t crack or splinter like wood can. It has the following advantages: It doesn’t rot, or ever need refinishing or have problems with insects. Additionally, it is available in various colors and styles, from short picket fences to tall privacy fences. It can even be textured to give a wood-like appearance.
However, the initial installation costs can be high, and extreme weather conditions can bend or damage the material. Although, for many people, the advantages of this material exceed the disadvantages.
The average cost for a vinyl fence in the U.S. varies depending on size, height, current cost of materials including labor costs. Some add-ons that can increase the cost include fence post caps, texturing, lattice effects, and gates. Additionally, the thickness of the material itself will affect the price.
Vinyl fences are an excellent choice for any property. They are strong, flexible and durable, plus they look great. Additionally, they are longer-lasting than their wooden or chain-link counterparts.
2. Wood Fence
A wood fence or timber fence is a partition or barrier made of wood which is built along the boundary within a property. It can work as a partition, a structure, a wall divider, a barrier, or a marker. It is also known as timber fencing.
Some of the advantages and disadvantages of wood fence are:
- Cost effective in the short as well as long term.
- Light and easy to install or remove.
- Can be painted with any color.
- Wood is biodegradable and environment friendly.
- It has a limited life, usually between 5 to 10 yrs depending on your maintenance.
- Needs painting and maintenance regularly.
- When wood dries, it fades, cracks and warps.
- Highest maintenance as compared to other fences.
Cost of a wood fence depends on length, height and wood type. Homeowners pay an average of $2,941 to install a wood fence, or a range between $1,700 and $4,184.
Wood fences are less durable than other fence types and need the most maintenance. Vulnerable to rot, cracking, warping, and termite damage, the durability of any wooden structure is relatively limited, especially in regions with wet climates.
3. Barbed Wire Fence
A barbed wire fence is built from strong wire that has sharply pointed barbs at close intervals along its length. It is used mainly for fencing in livestock, keeping out trespassers, etc.
The advantage of barbed wire is that it provides a solid barrier and is a cheap fencing option. The disadvantage is that barbed wires have sharp edges each few inches. When you pass a barbed wire fence, there is a likelihood that your dress will be trapped by these sharp edges. In case you come in contact with a barbed wire, it can hurt you and will likely rupture your skin or perforate it. This can result in bleeding, cuts, and possible infection as the steel used is usually corroded and not sterilized. Additionally, barbed wire requires regular maintenance to keep the fence tight.
The average cost of installing a barbed wire fence is between $1,343 – $5,066. For maintaining your barbed wire fence, you should clear it of growing vegetation at least twice a year. Vegetation can damage your wires and posts, so it is good to clear them before they become a problem to you. Trim trees and clip bushes around your fence.
Traditional Class I barbed wire lasts seven to 10 years and the Class III galvanized products can keep up to 20 or 30 years, the zinc/aluminum-coated cables could last for 50 years, at least according to salt spray tests designed to see how these products stand up to the elements.
4. Bamboo Fence
Bamboo fence is built by placing tall bamboo poles closely together, blocking the view of neighbors or anyone passing by on the sidewalk. It is an easy way to ensure privacy around your pool, backyard, or hot tub. The fencing is attractive and easy to install, and costs a fraction of the cost of hardwood privacy fencing.
The most important advantage of bamboo fences is that they are environmentally friendly. Bamboo is a unique and attractive fencing option. Its natural finish is quite beautiful, and it can also be stained in any color of your choice.
On the other hand, Bamboo is quite expensive than other fencing options. It is also susceptible to rot when not properly protected against moisture. It is important to apply sealant and waterproof coating on bamboo before it is installed. A live bamboo fence must be kept under control with consistent pruning and cutting. However, when you take proper care of a bamboo fence, it will last in good condition for several years.
A Bamboo fence costs on average $6 to $12.00 per linear ft to be installed on your property.
They are long-lasting and durable. They need minimum maintenance and care. You can get a naturally aesthetic look around your home by installing a bamboo fence. It is also viable in various climatic conditions. It is resistant to rain, snow, excessive heat and ultraviolet rays, rain and snow. It also helps reduce pollution as it absorbs carbon dioxide and other toxic gasses.
5. Living Fence
A living fence is a line of trees or shrubs planted on farm boundaries or on the borders of home compounds, fields, pastures, or animal enclosures. Their main purpose is to control the movement of animals or people. Live fences may also provide fuelwood, fodder and food, act as windbreaks, provide bee forage, provide shade, enrich the soil and control dust.
It is essential that the young live fence tree/shrub be supported with temporary man-made structures for at least during the first few years until they are tall and thick enough to withstand grazing livestock and to provide their barrier function. Once the live fence is established, the temporary man-made structure, such as barbed wire fence, can be used again to establish another live fence.
The growing trees and shrubs must be pruned, typically on an annual basis. Otherwise, they may consume too much space or cast too much shade on adjacent crops.
Advantages and disadvantages of living fences is outlined below:
- Living fences are not troubled by termites, carpenter ants and dry rot.
- A living fence post has to be pruned regularly, and the branches can be used as fuel.
- They provide fertilizer in various ways.
- A few living fence plant species are utilized in medicinal preparations.
- Added labor costs in trimming a living fence produces large amounts of biomass.
- Competition of fence species such as canopy and roots with crops for available sunlight, water and soil nutrients.
- Some living fence plants are promptly eaten and destroyed by livestock.
Living fences can cost as little as $1 per linear foot, whereas a wood fence may cost between $20 to $30 per linear foot. So, you will save $1,450 on a 50-foot fence. Living fences are lifelong investments in the planet and are longer-lasting than a manufactured fence. Living fences last as long as the lifespan of the shrub or tree that you have planted.
6. Aluminum Fence
An aluminum fence is constructed mainly out of aluminum. As the metal has low density and ability to resist corrosion, it has become a popular choice. Aluminum fences are strong, durable, and quite effective at providing safety on your property. This is especially true around areas such as the pool, to keep the little ones away when you are not watching.
Aluminum fence also has certain advantages and disadvantages:
- Aluminum fencing comes with low maintenance. It is a great choice for the homeowner who requires lasting aesthetic appeal with very little upkeep. Unlike wood, they never need painting or refinishing.
- Aluminum fencing is cheaper than materials like steel or wrought iron.
- Aluminum fences are easy to install and lightweight. Its malleable quality means it can be adjusted to different heights to match local standards and building codes.
- Aluminum fencing provides less privacy, and it doesn’t conceal much at all.
- It is not ideal for security purposes. If you are looking for a security fence, aluminum fencing is not suitable. This may only be a factor if you want a barrier for large animals breaking in or out, or for intruders.
The cost of an aluminum fence all over the U.S. ranges from $3,111 to $6,753. The average cost across different styles of aluminum fence is $4,932 for professional installation.
Aluminum doesn’t contain iron, and is therefore not susceptible to rust and corrosion, even in damp conditions. So your fence will not be damaged or disfigured by the time the rainy season is over. The material is long-lasting and adaptable to most environments. Aluminum fencing occasionally needs to be wiped of dirt and debris. You can maintain a beautiful fence with relatively minimal effort.
7. Precast Concrete Fence
A precast concrete fence is made from a special type of concrete known as precast concrete. These fences use natural stone and concrete, along with architectural finishes, to build a long-lasting and beautiful looking system of fencing. It is a multipurpose and durable construction product that is used in a variety of commercial and residential projects.
Several advantages and disadvantages of a precast concrete fence are given below:
- Saves Construction Time: Precast Concrete construction saves time, as the risk of project delay is also less.
- Quality Assurance: The key factors which govern the quality of construction such as curing, mix design, temperature, formwork, etc. can be supervised for a precast concrete fence. So, improved quality construction can be performed.
- Cost-effective: The construction process reduces the time, increases the productivity, quality and safety and as a result the cost is reduced.
- High Initial Investment: Precast concrete fence is quite expensive to install than other types of fences.
- Modification: It is difficult to modify a precast concrete fence. If it is to be dismantled for modification, it will impact the overall stability of the fence.
The average installation price for a 6 feet high precast concrete fence is $32 – $42. It has a longer service time period and requires little maintenance. The high-density precast concrete is more durable to acid attack, impact, corrosion, reduces surface voids and resists the accumulation of dust.
8. Brick Wall Fence
A brick wall fence is an outdoor wall built with blocks or bricks of materials such as cement or natural stone. Brick fences are very durable and can last for generations. They give a stylish and classy look to the fencing which other materials can’t give. They are very popular and can be seen around many houses, offices, or other buildings. There are several brick fence designs from which homeowners can choose.
Advantages and disadvantages of brick wall fence:
- Bricks are non-combustible, so it improves fire protection for the building and its occupants.
- Brick wall fence provides a high resistance against rotting, pests, weather and natural disasters such as tornadoes and hurricanes.
- Having a brick wall fence in your construction increases its resale value.
- The stability of a brick wall fence depends completely on their foundation. If any settling of the foundation happens, cracks will appear and they must be repaired to avoid moisture infiltration and damage.
- You cannot build a brick wall fence during heavy rain or freezing conditions, since mortar will be severely affected.
Building a new brick wall fence in the U.S. will cost you between $1,500 to $6,000 per 100 square feet of wall face on average, or $15 to $60 per square foot. A brick wall fence is durable and long lasting. Although it is more expensive than other fences initially, they are far more durable and require no maintenance, unlike wooden fences.
9. Chain Linked Fence
A chain linked fence is a type of fence built using galvanized or steel wire and has a zigzag pattern of wires. Chain-linked fence is also known as a chain wire fence. They are appropriate for both residential and commercial purposes. This type of fence is also suitable for temporary fencing and can be used for restricting access to an area for a particular period.
Advantages and disadvantages of chain linked fence are discussed below:
Affordability: Chain linked fence is among the least expensive to install as compared to other fence materials. If budget is a big concern of yours, then you can go for this type of fencing.
Variety : They can be built in varying heights, range of color coatings, and different gauges, and can be customized for a variety of applications.
- No privacy: Chain-linked fences do not offer the solid wall of protection that wood fencing or vinyl fencing would have, therefore they are not considered privacy fences.
- Minimal property value: A chain linked fence isn’t going to add to your property value. If you want to resell your home in the next few years, you will attract more buyers by building vinyl or wood fencing.
A commercial-grade 10-foot chain linked fence is the most expensive option heightwise, as it costs $16 to $31 per linear foot. Chain linked fences need little to no maintenance and are extremely durable. Older fences that have been exposed to extended rains may rust gradually, but even that takes years to happen. You can stain it with whatever color you want and protect the metal from rust and deterioration in the future.
10. Stone Wall With Iron Fence
Stone wall with iron fence is a classy fencing type, you can get a stone wall raised up to the knee-length and fence it with iron grills in your preferred design to give a look of a fort to your home. Get the pillars built of stones as it balances the boundary wall, and is powerful enough.
It is low maintenance and is highly durable, and even stands firm in weather turbulence. The iron fences require painting at periodic intervals to prevent it from rusting. But the stones last for almost a lifetime. Due to the higher width needed, this too will reduce available land portions. A natural stone wall with an iron fence costs between $25 to $80 per square foot for materials and $15 to $30 per square foot of labor.
Let’s see the advantages and disadvantages of it:
- Stone fences are almost immune to even the most disastrous forces of nature, such as rain, wind, summer heat, sleet, snow will have little to no effect on a stone fence.
- Stone fences are made from natural materials. They are usually easy to find, are inexpensive or even free.
- A stone fence can’t be altered easily. It is guaranteed to be in the same form for the life of the fence.
- Stone fences take a lot of time to build, and the building process is also painstaking.
How To Choose The Best Fence In Your Yard?
When you plan to build a fence, you have a range of choices. Each material is also available in a selection of designs and colors. Choosing the best fence for your yard isn’t a difficult task, but you need to consider certain things before you build a fence. Here are some points to consider when choosing the right fence for your yard:
- Understand Your Needs: Why do you need a fence? Is it to keep a pup contained or to secure your property or to add privacy to the backyard? Some fences, such as wooden or vinyl privacy fences, will work for all these requirements. On the other hand, if you want to retain the view while securing your yard, you may prefer a chain link fence.
- Neighbor’s restrictions: Most cities and homeowner’s associations have rules regarding the height of structures and the type of fence you can build. Make sure to research the codes for your neighborhood. Several areas allow privacy fences in the backyard, but not in the front. If you build something that is against codes, you will have to remove it and may have to pay a fine, too.
- Maintenance: Think how much time you can give to maintain a fence. Wooden fences need the most maintenance because you will need to stain them every couple years. Vinyl fences and chain linked require virtually no maintenance. You may need to clean a vinyl fence from time to time. Wood and chain linked are easy to repair.
- Budget: Fencing materials differ significantly in price. If your property is large, your final price will be much more than if you have a small yard. Estimate the amount of fencing you will require and the types of fences designs, then compare prices for your top choices. Prices will include materials and labor. Also, calculate the cost of maintenance over the life of the fence.
How Long Does A Fence Last?
With proper maintenance and care, your fence should be expected to last anywhere between 20 and 50 years, depending on the material. Maintaining a fence in your yard is important if you don’t want to replace it. If your fence is older than you are, it’s probably time to build a new one!
Moreover, damage isn’t the only reason to replace your fence. If your fence doesn’t provide enough privacy, isn’t high enough to stop your dog from escaping, or otherwise falls short of your needs, it’s time to replace it.
How Long Does It Take To Build A Fence?
Most residential fences can be completed in a day or two after the start date, while larger-scale projects for businesses or farms may take a few days. The number of fence panels you need while building a fence depends on the material and the amount of fencing you require.
Following are some estimated daily installation targets for different types of fences:
- Ornamental fences: 80 to 150 ft/day
- Vinyl fences: 80 to 150 ft/day
- Wooden fences: 40 to 100 ft/day
- Chain link fences: 100 to 200 ft/day
- Agricultural fences: 200+ ft/day
Does Edenapp Provide Services In Building Fences?
Yes, Edenapp provides professional services to help you design and build a unique fence for your yard using high-quality materials and the design you want.
Contact Edenapp today to help you guide to choose the best fence for your yard. Also, our professional team will design your fence as per your requirements and build it for you.
Enjoy a beautifully manicured lawn with our timely yard work services that care for your yard according to the season. Call us today!