Artificial grass (also known as artificial turf) is a field-like surface made out of synthetic fibers that share similar physical attributes with natural grass. Their initial purpose was to substitute natural playing fields for sports. However, they are now present in residential homes and corporate organizations as a form of decoration. The primary reason for utilizing artificial grasses is the ease of maintenance. Unlike natural fields, synthetic turfs can withstand consistent trampling in sports and do not require watering, trimming, or any treatment generally given to natural plants. One significant advantage of artificial grass is that it does not need sunlight to stay healthy; the blades remain fresh irrespective of the season.
Artificial grass is a surface made out of human-made fibers that share the same external features as real grass. The blades of the synthetic turf are always green and available in a variety of heights to meet any requirement.
The grass is technically a carpet; it has a firm backing that a machine stitches the grass blades onto tightly. Thanks to modern technology, newer synthetic lawns look more realistic than their predecessors due to the new addition of brown thatch that mimics the look of dried leaves.
These innovative carpets are standard in sports, particularly football. In certain parts of the world, it is common to install artificial grass on the sports field rather than real ones. However, it has gradually begun to find a place in residential homes and commercial buildings.
Installing artificial grass is a personal decision based on your preference. However, some situations require that you install one. For example, in 1966, Huston Astrodome, the first indoor sports stadium worldwide, failed miserably in trying to grow real grass for their field. Eventually, they had to opt for artificial grass to tackle this problem. Besides, installing artificial grass comes with a plethora of benefits including:
•Time and Money Saving For natural grass to remain healthy, it requires 55 gallons of water per square feet and consistent pruning every year. This task might be tedious for some people since it eats away at their time and money. However, opting for artificial grass will save both your time and money as it doesn't require any special treatment to stay radiant.
• Conserve Water Landscaping consumes lots of water annually. However, during times of short drought and extreme heat, people prefer to use water for more essential things like growing crops instead of landscaping for beautification purposes. Owning an artificial field would mean you can reserve your water for more important occasions, and still have a magnificent lawn.
• Everlasting Natural grass can wither and die, while an artificial turf can last more than twenty years, thus creating what users call "the forever lawn." The beautiful thing about synthetic grass is that once installed, it stays green, never overgrows, or develops brown spots.
Pro tip: You'll need a professional grass contractor to help you install a new artificial turf when you feel it's time for a change.
• Save Money on Landscaping Since artificial grass doesn't grow or require any special treatment to stay healthy, you no longer need to keep extra money aside for lawn care or anything related to landscaping. Weed control, fertilizers, or pests could become a thing of the past.
• Save Time on Lawn Care Besides saving money on landscaping, the fact that artificial grass doesn't grow will save you time as well. This extra time comes from not mowing, weeding, trimming, or maintaining your lawn every week. Besides, the absence of noise and carbon emissions from your lawnmower equally benefits the environment. The discharge from a single lawn mower is equivalent to that of 11 cars in 1 hour.
Manufacturers select the highest quality fibers to construct artificial grass, making it look as natural as possible. Most times, it is visually impossible to tell the difference between a real field from an artificial one.
These are the three types of materials used to make artificial turf:
• Polypropylene Artificial Turf
The polypropylene artificial turf is a common choice for businesses and homeowners because it is the most affordable of all the other options. Although it is budget-friendly and comes in different sizes, it's not so durable, meaning it is susceptible to damage after a while of usage. The best application for this type would be in places that don't involve frequent trampling on the material.
• Polyethylene Artificial Turf
If you've got some extra bucks to spare, then consider opting for an artificial grass made out of polyethylene. Although it's a bit more expensive than polypropylene, it's more durable, natural, and has a better texture. Blades made with polyethylene look very realistic and are almost impossible to distinguish from real grass.
• Nylon Artificial Turf
If you're looking for artificial turf with a flawless combination of beauty and durability, then the type manufactured with nylon is your best bet. It's able to withstand extreme temperatures and weight without losing its original shape. Although nylon turf is the most durable, it's pricey.
Whether you wish to install artificial turf in your lawn, garden, or inside your home to give it a touch of nature, we at Eden are available to help you out. Our team of professionals are experts in rendering artificial grass installation services and are ready to help you make an informed decision. Give us a call today if you have questions or would like us to beautify your home or commercial property with artificial grass.